"Dear Dad, Love Maria"

Wednesday, May 21, 2008

No Longer 35mm, Some Story Stuff, and A Short Manifesto

I decided that due to costliness I'm switching from 35mm to 16mm. It's going to still cost a lot but not as much. I went into the fourth draft of maria and something about it didn't feel right with me, and so I sent it to Andy and he noticed that it feels overworked. He told me to step back from it for a few days and try to get more into her shoes and write it again from scratch. So I'm going to take that advice. In the meantime I think I'll read over it a few times just to see what I can glean from it. This piece needs to be as good as I can get it. This is my last short as a student and my first as an independent animator. I want it to be worthy for people to see it in a festival and hopefully take the story and feel it for themselves. So for that I have to feel it for myself, and then once I do, put all the work I can into it. I don't just want a piece that is funny or if I make it a comedy is funny just to be funny, I want them to be rooted in something in me, so if its funny its funny because I've been there and maybe the audience too. I want to make pieces that mean something to me. That's all I really want to do with my life, make pieces that mean something to me and make people laugh, cry, and feel it along with me.

No comments: